Race Team Resources
Every step you take and every dollar you raise brings us closer to a future without breast cancer. Because you’re taking those steps with a team, you’re multiplying your impact on the cause.
Team Captain Guidelines
What does the Team Captain do?
The Team Captain is the first team member to register, and does so online, by clicking the “Start a Team” (or "Reform or Join an Existing Team" for previous participants) on our Registration Page.
Team members can then join the team by clicking the “Join an Existing Team” button and entering the team name.
Teams may consist of any combination of runners, walkers, Kids for the Cure participants and/or Sleep for the Cure participants.
Roles of the Team Captain
- Form your Race Team when you register for the Race
- Set and promote team participation and fundraising goals
- Establish a team theme, if desired
- Communicate and manage team member registration needs and issues as needed
- Encourage team members to register online
- Communicate Race Day details to team members
Being a team captain is a great opportunity to raise funds to help us fight breast cancer, and is a great way to spread awareness of this disease!
Team Captain Checklist
Once you’ve registered your Team, here are some next steps:
- Make a self -donation in any denomination to show your commitment
- Set a goal for the number of people you will recruit.
- Display event materials — brochures and posters — around the office, campus, cafeterias, break rooms, gyms, and other high traffic areas. Put your name, phone number, and/or email address on the posters so people can contact you to get involved.
- Host a kickoff meeting or event and invite the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® staff to make a presentation.
- Send fundraising tips out to all your team members and highlight the team’s top fundraising member.
- Create fundraising incentives for your team members encouraging them to meet or exceed their fundraising goals.
- Remind team members to log on to their fundraising pages to record all offline donations and send thank-you notes.
- Post a progress chart with your fundraising and recruitment goals in a visible area and update totals regularly.
Theme Your Team!
your Race Team’s t-shirt official! Click here to view a .pdf of the of the
official Race for the Cure Team Logos!
Last year, Teams raised more than $145,000 for the fight to end breast cancer. That’s a huge impact!
Team fundraising helps ensure that we will be able to make the biggest impact in the community.
There are two ways that teams can engage in fundraising:
- Each team member asks their friends, family members and co-workers to support them in their fundraising efforts by making a donation. To get tips and tools on personal fundraising, click here.
- Your team can host a fundraising event. To download a list of fun and easy fundraising events, click here.
The ultimate reward is knowing you’ve brought our community miles closer to the reality of a world without breast cancer. But be sure to check out the Team Rewards page for more information on how we thank our top performing teams!